St Martin de Porres Church
31555 Hoover RD
Warren, MI 48093
Rev. Nicholas Zukowski, Pastor
Rev. Mr. Marion Jurewicz, Deacon
Tel: (586) 264-7515
Fax: (586) 264-4013
31555 Hoover Rd., Warren, MI 48093
No phone inquiries, please.
The Parish Director of Music Ministries is a part-time position (with negotiable benefits). The Parish Music Director is primarily responsible for planning, coordinating and overseeing a comprehensive parish music program, and collaborates with the rest of the parish staff to achieve our parish goal, “To strive, to celebrate, to serve.” The Parish Music Director seeks to enhance and improve the music ministry. The Parish Music Director supports the assembly’s singing of the liturgy and musically leads the assembly in reflection and prayer. Worship is further supported and enhanced by the ministry of the Adult Choir, the Contemporary Choir (with its own Director), the Handbell Choir, the Funeral Choir, the Cantors and other musicians. Our church instruments include a 1967 2-Manual, 20-Rank Wicks pipe organ, a 5’8” Petrof grand piano, and 3 octaves of Malmark hand bells.
Sees this position not as a job but as a ministry; not as performance-centered, but as service-centered, supporting the congregation at sung prayer and not entertaining or overwhelming it. Is a person of faith and prayer. A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Music Liturgical Music, or equivalent experience and education, and a strong knowledge of the Roman Catholic Liturgy. Respects both traditional and contemporary music. Requires considerable instrumental skills (organ, piano and hand bells) and considerable vocal skills (pitch, timing, harmonizing, etc.). Ability to work well with others. Willing to take direction from the Pastor and Worship Coordinator. Computer skills to send e-mails and attachments and to create bulletin articles and other notices. Good communication skills.
The Archdiocese of Detroit is an equal opportunity employer that does not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital or other legally-protected status.
• Pray for, discern the direction for, and implement the total parish music program.
• Meet with the Pastor and Worship Coordinator regarding liturgical matters.
• Attend monthly Worship Commission meetings and any liturgy planning meetings.
• Plan music and plays for all liturgical and paraliturgical celebrations, including weekday (if needed) and weekend Masses and Holy Days; civic holidays and Holy Week; weddings, funerals/memorial services (if needed); Monday Evening Prayer and Stations of the Cross during Lent; Advent and Lent communal penance services and Family First Reconciliation service; Tree-trimming Service; Baptisms, First Eucharist Mass, Confirmation Mass; other special liturgies as needed.
• Direct the Adult Choir, the Handbell Choir, Funeral Choir and Cantor program.
• Oversee and evaluate the direction of the Contemporary Choir with its Director.
• Prepare and teach new music to the assembly.
• Approve substitute/guest musicians.
• Hire the brass quartet for the Christmas Eve Mass and the Great Easter Vigil.
• Plan for sacramental/paraliturgical celebrations with the Director of Christian Formation and the Worship Coordinator.
• Provide an approved repertoire of music for weddings and funerals.
• Give copies of the weekend Mass music selection planning sheet to the Pastor and to the Worship Coordinator.
• Prepare and make use of funds budgeted for liturgical music.
• Write bulletin articles as needed regarding liturgical music issues.
• Research and remain informed of the latest developments in liturgy.
• Maintain all parish instruments, especially the church organ and piano.
• Maintain the parish music library, especially the choral and handbell music.
• Participate in parish pastoral team meetings, staff lunches and retreats.
• Participate in parish functions and activities as needed and requested.
• Network with other Music Directors in the Vicariate and the Archdiocese.
• If possible, plan shared Praise and Worship music/prayer experiences with our
Contemporary Group and musicians/choirs/groups from other parishes.
• Meet with engaged couples to plan their wedding music.
• Work with guest musicians. Arrange for qualified substitute musicians as needed
• Recruit, train, prepare and direct members for the Adult Choir, Handbell Choir, Funeral Choir and Cantors.
• Review new choral and handbell music by listening to CD’s provided by the choral and handbell music subscription services. Maintain subscriptions.