St. Martin de Porres
Parish Council Finance Members
Presider: Fr. Nick Zukowski, Pastor
Chairperson: Mike Garcia
Meetings are quarterly as needed on the first Tuesday of the month at 1:30 p.m.
St Martin de Porres Church
31555 Hoover RD
Warren, MI 48093
Rev. Nicholas Zukowski, Pastor
Rev. Mr. Marion Jurewicz, Deacon
Tel: (586) 264-7515
Fax: (586) 264-4013
St. Martin de Porres Warren, Michigan
Meeting of the Parish Pastoral Council
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Parish Center Conference Room
St. Martin de Porres
Parish Pastoral Council
Chairperson: Gary McMenamin
Christian Service: Rocky Mercier
Education: Gary McMenamin
Finance: Fr. Nick Zukowski, Pastor
Worship: Jerry Cipkowski
Meetings are held the first
Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. All parishioners are welcome to attend.
From our Parish Mission Statement: How is what we are going to do help us “to strive to
proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, to celebrate the mystery of God’s love in our midst, to serve one another and the wider human community and to continue the Mission of Jesus?”
Opening Prayer Experience and Attendance: The meeting began at 7:10 PM with a reflection on the upcoming Sunday’s Gospel Reading for the 23rd Sunday of the Year: Where Two or Three Are Gathered in My Name.” Members present: Fr. Nick Zukowski, Pastor and Parish Finance Council Rep.; Gary McMenamin, from the Education Commission and PPC Chairperson; Jerry Cipkowski, from the Worship Commission; Rocky Mercier, from the Christian Service Commission and Vicariate Rep. Members absent/excused: Ciara Regan-Moore, Youth Rep. and the Knights of Columbus Rep. Larry Lage, from the maintenance department, was a guest.
Ongoing Formation of the Council: Fr. Nick informed the PPC that study materials for the Archbishop’s Pastoral Letter, “Unleash the Gospel” are being put together for PPC’s, commissions and parish study groups to unwrap. The parish pastoral team will study the document first before passing it on to the PPC and commissions.
Review of the Minutes: There were no minutes from the June meeting because only two people showed up, which lacked a quorum. Fr. Nick and Jerry Cipkowski were present. Some may have misunderstood that the meeting was to be June 17th, even though the agenda clearly stated June 6th. The confusion may have come from the title of the document PPC Agenda Jun 17 meaning the year 2017, not the day of the 17th. Fr. Nick will change the title of the document in the future.
The minutes of the May, 2017 minutes were approved.
Ongoing Parish Issues
A. Issues for discernment/consensus (Old Business)
1. Next building project: Parish hall atrium storage area; permission needed to release funds. Larry Lage explained the particulars of the project. Because the cost is an expenditure between $10,000 and $99,000, A o D policy states that the approval of the PPC and the FPC is needed. The PPC gave consensus approval of the project, not to exceed $50,000.
2. Archbishop Vigneron’s Pastoral Letter: “Unleash the Gospel” – This will be the focal point of ongoing formation for the PPC and commissions. Once the catechetical material is provided by the A o D, we will form small groups of parishioners for discussion of the document.
3. Status on parish church sound system/hearing loops: The new church sound system is complete. Still exploring the various options for hearing loops and the various ways they tie into our new sounds system. Adding hearing loops and making them available for individual sale, and plugging them into our sound system may cost about $2000-$3000.
4. Coordinating fund-raising events on the parish master events calendar –next meeting? Gary McMenamin will contact the principal heads of parish organizations to get things moving.
5. Survey of interest regarding parish fund-raising and other events: there was nobody from the Knights of Columbus present at this meeting to elaborate on this project.
6. Update on upgrade of church exterior doors and parish center middle doors: Works in progress. It was decided to put handicap panels to open the doors on both main entrances, and one on the doors of the parish center most used by our elderly and handicapped members.
7. Parish observance of our 55th anniversary/Festival of Ministries/Stewardship Awareness: Things are progressing well. Renee’ Heileman will coordinate the overall celebration, which will be similar to our parish 50th celebration. Emphasis will be on dedicating time and talent to the parish. Welcome booklets will be in the back of church the weekends of September 17 and 24, with Time and Talent commitment sheets inserted in the bulletin for those same two weekends.
8. Amazing Parish follow-up: Deacon Marion Jurewicz, Christine Cabe and Renee’ Heileman from our parish pastoral team attended the Lay Ministry Convocation on Thursday, August 31st at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit. There was great energy, the talks were inspirational, and all left feeling recharged and recommitted to their parish ministry. We will do the best we can with what we have, given our demographics and the realities around us.
9. Central Macomb Vicariate pro-active planning; Fr. Mike Cooney has accepted another term as vicar: In spite of turning 70 this year and being eligible for retirement, Fr. Mike Cooney, pastor of St. Peter Parish in Mt. Clemens, has accepted another year as pastor and another three-year term as Vicar of the Central Macomb Vicariate. He will lead us in planning for the future, based on the demographics of today.
10. Any other Old Business? None.
B. Issues for discernment/consensus (New Business)
1. Active Christian Women’s Club celebrates 40th anniversary on September 17: They will be present for a Corporate Communion. It is also Catechetical Sunday, so catechists, students and parents will be present that weekend to enroll the Confirmation students, send for the catechists and bless the parents, guardians and catechists as the first and best teachers of the faith.
2. Fr. Solanus Casey Beatification Mass on Saturday, November 18, 2017 at Ford Field: We will be receiving 200 free tickets to the event. We need the names of those going, whether they will need handicapped seating, or whether they will be arriving in wheelchairs. We will also coordinate bus transportation at a cost of $20 per rider.
3. Medical status of Sr. Pat Whalen and Kathy Wisniewski: Both are improving somewhat, but Fr. Nick shared concern if and when his sister may need to move in with him. PPC approved. All room and board, food and laundry costs for her would be paid for by Fr. Nick to the parish.
4. Any other New Business? None.
Report of the Commissions: See submitted reports.
1. Worship Commission
2. Education/Formation Commission
3. Christian Service Commission: Mercy in Action Day is Saturday, October 14th.
4. Evangelization Committee
5. Parish Finance Council
6. Youth Representative
7. Central Macomb Vicariate Representative
OPEN FORUM / UPCOMING EVENTS / FYI: None.
SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING: Propose Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 7:00 PM
EVALUATION OF THE MEETING: Informational, resolved issues.
CLOSING PRAYER: The meeting ended at 8:50 PM with the Prayer to Unleash the Gospel.